Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lewis Wickes Hine

I've wanted to talk about Lewis Wickes Hine for a while, but I haven't gotten to it yet, until now. Hine was a photographer & sociologist that used his photographs as a means for social reform & is one of the better known photojournalist. Starting in 1906, Hine photographed the working conditions faced by immigrants & children & his photographs were highly influential in changing child labor laws. Other projects of Hine's included his work with the Red Cross during W.W.I. & photographing the construction of the Empire State Building (which he risked his life for.) You may not have actually known his name, but I'm sure you have seen his photographs. Here are a few of my favorites, some awe-inspiring, others horrifying, but always powerful.











For more of Hine's work, the New York Public Library created a digital library from their collection.

3 comments:

  1. Excelent choices! Hine has, in my mind, always ranked with Bourke-White and even Walker Evans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second image from the top "Lunch Atop a Skyscraper" is credited in many places to Charles Clyde Ebbets... I'm trying to find an accurate source... Any help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drats, you're right, Anonymous (that's a cool name. Is that Slavic?) I should do my research a little better. I'll delete it.

    ReplyDelete