Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Interview w/ John Cutrone: Parte Due

Here is the second & more personal part of my Q & A with Director John Cutrone

What is your education background?
I received a BFA in Art & a BA in English from FAU in 1995 & in 2001, an MFA in the Book Arts from the University of Alabama. The in-between years involved many amazing months at the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina & I've attended a few sessions of Paper & Book Intensive, as well, which is held in various places across the county each summer.

What are some of your favorite books in the JCBA?
My favorite books are the ones where the artist has really created a unified whole; where the text informs the structure & the choices of materials & type choices... everything that the book brings to the table. Some of my favorites are In the Presence of Absence by Harriet Bart & Möbius Circle by Coriander Reisbord & I am totally enamored with a book we've just recently acquired: A Line by Suyeon Kim.


Bart's book is perfection in the way the concept is brought together: this text, about the importance of what is absent, is presented in a manner that astounds me every time I see it. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.) Reisbord's book is, I think, perfect in its simplicity & form. What better way to discuss a bad relationship you can't get out of than through an infinite loop? And as for the new book Suyeon Kim: this book brings to mind, for me, everything that brought me to the book arts in the first place. A wonderful story, told with care, presented almost as a silent movie. I can't get enough of it.

What about your books at home? Give me three books that you always go back to.
Oh, you're making me choose just three? Okay. In no particular order: The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon by Washington Irving, Dubliners by James Joyce, Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell, Quite a Year for Plums by Bailey White & Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. Is that five? Well, too bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment